- Localization: Translating project tools and material to be understood by contributors in their language
- Text Corpus: Gathering, validating and processing public domain sentences
- Voice Corpus: Recording and validating voice clips to create a public domain dataset
- Communities: Connect with the variety of communities participating in Common Voice
- Mobilization: Resources and tips for mobilizing your community
- CC0 Waiver Process: How to secure a cc0 license for text corpus
What is CC0 [CC0 “No Rights Reserved” License]
Check out this simple explainer by Creative Commons - PDF Download - [Text TBA]
How to use: “Common Voice Contribution Agreement Form”
Mozilla Common Voice datasets are released under a CC0 “No Rights Reserved” License and are part of the public domain.
This means that works subject to copyright cannot be added to Common Voice datasets.
But some copyright owners are willing to make a CC0 waiver, dedicating their work to the public domain so that it can be contributed to Common Voice.
We have created a Contributions Agreement template Link for works where the copyright owner would like to contribute the material to Common Voice.
The form aims to support communities and organisations that would like to contribute original material that, without a CC0 waiver, could not be part of Common Voice.
What you need to do:
- If you know of a person or organization interested in contributing original material to Common Voice, make sure to explain to them that Common Voice is CC0 licensed and that they will need to make a CC0 waiver (effectively dedicating the material to the public domain) before it can be added to a Common Voice dataset.
- If the contributor is willing to make the necessary CC0 waiver, please contact Hilary Juma at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com
- Hillary and Mozilla Legal can then coordinate with the contributor to get a Contribution Agreement signed.
- Note that there is no need to use this Contribution Agreement for material that is already in the public domain (like works published in the USA before 1926). If in doubt please contact the Common Voice team.
We will support you by working with Mozilla legal council
- To provide a light review make sure the material is appropriate for Common Voice and that the contributor can make the needed CC0 waiver.
- Coordinate with the contributing organisation listed in the agreement.